John Hess was born in 1939. His weavings reflect his fascination with classical music, pre-Columbian ruins, geometric forms, and Islamic tiles. He lives in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Hess earned a BS from the University of Utah in 1961. He then earned a three-year color and design certificate from the Rudolph Schaeffer School of Design in 1964. When he returned to Utah, he studied independently at the Salt Lake Art Center and at the University of Utah.
Hess's work was part of the 67th Spring Salon at the Springville Museum of Art. He was the invited artist at the Utah Arts Festival in 1995. His public commissions include works that appear at Student Services Building at the College of Eastern Utah, St. Lawrence Catholic Church in Heber City, and the Rose Wagner Center for the Performing Arts.
Biography adapted from Artists of Utah and Artist's statement.
John Hess born in Ogden is a very innovative fiber artist. A graduate of the University of Utah (1961), he is the recipient of a three year Color and Design Certificate from the Rudolph Schaeffer School of Design in San Francisco (1964).
Also a recipient of several commissions for his highly regarded work, the artist created a tapestry for State Savings and Loan, and is the author of an article for a 1972 issue of Utah Artisan entitled Weaving--Beyond a Craft.
- University of Utah, B.S. 1961
- Rudolph Schaeffer School of Design, Three Year Color and Design, San Francisco, California. 1964
- University of Utah, Independent Study, Salt Lake City, Utah 1988-1989.
- Salt Lake Art Center, Independent Study, Salt Lake City, Utah 1987.
- 1987- Adjunct Professor, Weber State College, Art Department.
- 1987-1990- Adjunct Professor, University of Utah DCE, Textile Department.
- 1979-1981- Instructor, Westminister College, Beginning& Advanced Weaving.
- 1974-1981- Instructor, Salt Lake Art Center, Beginning& Advanced Weaving.
- 1991- Utah Arts Festival. Contemporary Crafts and Sculpture Invitational, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Springville Museum of Art 67th Utah Spring Salon, Juried Competition, Springville, Utah.
- West One Bank, “Spirit of the West“, Three-State Traveling Exhibition.
- Utah Textile Exhibition, Alliance for the Visual Arts, Logan, Utah.
- Pioneer Memorial Theatre, Invitational exhibition, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Brigham Young University, Gallery 303, Invitational Exhibition, Provo, Utah.
- 1993- University of Utah, Gittins Gallery, Utah Crafts Council.
- Brigham City, Museum, Year of the American Craft, Brigham City, Utah.
- Brigham Young University, Brent F. Larsen Gallery, Textile Invitational, Provo, Utah.
- Weber State University, Woven Textile Invitational, Ogden, Utah.
- 1994- Community Visual Art Association, Traveling Exhibition, Art West Gallery, Wy, Montana.
- Myra Powell Gallery, Two-Person Exhibition, Ogden, Utah.
- Salt Lake Community College, Redwood Campus, Invitational Exhibition, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 1995- Utah Arts Festival, Invited Artist, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 1996- Contemporary Crafts Gallery, Represented Artist, Portland, Oregon.
- 1997- Contemporary Crafts Gallery, Represent Artist, Portland, Oregon.
- Vital Arts Gallery, Fiber Arts & Surface Design Invitational, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 1998- Myrna Powell Gallery, Invitational Exhibition, Ogden, Utah.
- Utah Arts Council, Statewide Annual Crafts and Photography, Union Depot, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 1999- Utah Arts Council, Statewide Annual Crafts and Photography, Kimball Art Center, Park City, Utah.
- 2000- Utah Designer Craftsman, Juried Exhibition, Art Access Gallery, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Artisan Gallery, 3-person exhibition, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 2002-Utah Designer Craft Alliance, Juried Olympic exhibition, Rio Grand Gallery, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Finch Lane Gallery, 2 person exhibition, Sept-Nov., Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 2004- Utah Contemporary Sculpture Invitation, Forum Gallery, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 2005- Utah Designer Craft Alliance--Building Bridges--A Collaborative Exhibition Weber State University Art Gallery, Jan-Feb, Ogden, Utah.
- 1994- Utah Arts Council Public Art, Entrance Rotunda, Third Circuit Court, Sandy, Utah. Five sections folded double woven wall relief.
- 1995-Utah Arts Festival, Art in Public Spaces, Pierpont Walkway, Salt Lake City, Utah. Seven painted steel modules, supporting overhead stabiles.
- 1996- Utah Arts Council, Public Art, Utah State Tax Commission, Salt Lake City, Utah.)Five section mixed media relief.2)Two section folded, double woven relief.
- 1997- Utah Aids Foundation, Salt Lake City, Utah. Six section double woven wall relief.
- 1998- Simon Transportation, Corporate Headquarters, Salt Lake City, Utah. Two section mixed media and woven metal sculpture.
- 1999- Collage of Eastern Utah, Student Services Building, Price, Utah. Six suspended mixed media double woven metal sculptures. St. Lawrence Catholic Church, Heber City, Utah. Four woven fabric retablos with painted panels.
- 2002- Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center, Salt Lake City, Utah. Four section folded woven wall sculpture with painted aluminum struts.
- 2004- West Valley Library, West Valley, Utah. Folded, double-woven wood relief.
- Peat Marwich & Main, Corporate Accounting Firm, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- MHT Architects, Inc, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- State Savings and Loan, Branch Bank, Clearfield, Utah.
- Ethos Investment Group, Inc, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- First Interstate Bank, Salt Lake CIty, Utah.
- Salt Lake County, Government Complex, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Utah Arts Council, State Art Collection, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Phillips Gallery, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Simon Transportation, Corporate Headquarters, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 2004- Utah Arts Council Individual Artist Grant and Exhibit, Rio Grand Gallery, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Biography courtesy Artists of Utah and the artist.
To contact this artist: firstname.lastname@example.org
Olpin, Robert S., William C. Seifrit, and Vern G. Swanson. Artists of Utah. Salt Lake City, UT: Gibbs Smith Publisher, 1999.
Swanson, Vern G., Robert S. Olpin, and William C. Seifrit. Utah Painting and Sculpture. Layton, UT: Gibbs Smith Publisher, 1997.