William R. and Erlyn J. Gould Auditorium
The Gould Auditorium can be scheduled for Library sponsored events and University sponsored events no more than 90 days prior to the event. The Gould Auditorium cannot be scheduled for use by groups or individuals outside the University of Utah.
Public University events that are advertised/open to the community can be scheduled in the Gould free of charge.
Private University events limited to a known University group will be charged a usage fee of $250.00 per day the space is reserved for the event.
A billable chart field must be provided to the Marriott Library before a reservation can be confirmed. This chartfield is needed for either a Public or Private event reservation to verify the request is for a University Department. The Marriott Library reserves the right to cancel an event if a valid chartfield is not provided prior to the scheduled time.
If you would like to view the calendar for the auditorium, please visit the scheduler.
When requesting a reservation, please fill out the online request form, which will ask:
- Name, email, and phone number of Requester
- Department of Requester
- Name, email, and phone number of the instructor in charge of event who will be in attendance for the length of the event
- Department of instructor in charge of event
- Primary department in charge of event
- Other departments involved
- Event title
- Identify if event is Public/Private (see above)
- Description of how event supports the educational or professional purpose of the University
- Valid chartfield from your University department
- Number of expected attendees and who is invited to attend
- Describe any participant fees
- Date of event
- Arrival time of instructor in charge of event prior to the event
- Any food service including the name of your caterer and their arrival time
- Who will be onsite that is expecting to meet the caterer at a public entrance
- Whether you have event permits or food handler permits that may be necessary to provide food to the public
- Time frame for event
- Signage that you have created for event and plan to put up in the library
- Technical Use of Presenter's Podium
- Audio/Video Recording of the Event (fees may apply and must be coordinated 2 weeks in advance of the event date)
- Setup style
- Lecture Style + number of attendees (Max 193)
- U Shaped Board Table +number of attendees (Max 35)
- O Shaped Board Table +number of attendees (Max 46)
- Banquet Style (6’ Round Tables) +number of attendees (Max 128)
- Custom setup requires additional approval, please include details
- Please provide a description of furnishings or equipment being provided by third party vendors for an event and the schedule of their delivery and installation. Decorations or modifications to the Gould Auditorium should be limited to temporary decorations that do not require mounting objects from the ceiling or walls using implements or adhesives, including tape. 3M command products are permitted but are not provided by the library.
- Number of catering tables or extra tables required if applicable. The guest seating arrangement may limit the number of catering tables permitted.
A reservation in the Gould auditorium includes the use of tables and chairs in one set up from the style options indicated above and the use of the presenter's podium. For a description of AV equipment available at the podium and in the room, click on the equipment tab above. All other needs for your event need to be supplied by you or a vendor (i.e. tablecloths, centerpieces, etc.).
There will be a $200 charge if your event creates a need for cleanup/custodial services beyond the typical daily maintenance.
You may use the caterer of your choice as long as they are licensed and insured. Marriott Library staff cannot meet caterers for coordination and cannot sign for goods or services. Caterers must use public entrances at all times; you must be their contact and able to meet them to accept delivery. If your caterer is not met by you and library staff needs to step in, a minimum of $50 will be charged.
Buying or selling of goods or services, panhandling, and soliciting donations of any kind is not allowed in the Library.
Sales in the Gould Auditorium must be approved by the Director of Facilities & Operations.
Events must begin and conclude within the posted library hours. Check Library hours for breaks and holiday hours prior to scheduling an event. Any event that extends beyond posted library hours will be subject to a $50 charge per hour or partial hour past closing.
The Gould Auditorium must be reserved a minimum of 5 business days in advance.
If the Private event is canceled less than 24 hours before the scheduled time, the $250 fee will still need to be paid in full.
If the Public event is canceled less than 24 hours before the scheduled time, a $100 fee will be imposed.
To maintain quality service and ensure that the Gould Auditorium can be cleaned and prepared for each event, there is only one event per day and one per weekend.
The Gould Auditorium has the following AV equipment installed in the room, which is available for your use.
One of our technicians will be on hand to provide assistance with operating this equipment when requested.
Wireless Lavalier Microphone
Wireless Handheld Microphone
Podcast recorder (requires a Podcast Producer Account to avoid technician fees)
Please include request for custom services from the list below in the Gould Request Form.
Regardless of the event type, all off-site events and large projects (requiring greater than 10 total staff hours, including recording and post-production) require approval from the Associate Dean of IT&DLS or the Dean of the Marriott Library.
Library events include Marriott Library staff meetings and candidate presentations, events organized by the Library and marketed as Library events, and events organized by University administration (Vice President level or higher). Audiovisual services are available at no charge. In order to conserve staff resources, a two-person recording crew will be used only if Student Computing Services deems it necessary for the production, or if it is approved by the Associate Dean of IT&DLS or the Dean of the Marriott Library.
Sponsored events are organized with participation from the Marriott Library and include the Marriott Library logo in marketing. Logo usage is subject to approval by Marriott Library Public Relations. The Event/Sponsors Review Group will review these events, and the Associate Deans will make a final decision regarding what audiovisual services are offered and at what rates.
Non-Library events include all other staff meetings, private events, and public events. Audiovisual services are available at full price. The Associate Dean of IT&DLS or the Dean of the Marriott Library may waive additional fees.
Approved by Library Services Committee 8/25/2016
Approved by Executive Committee 3/27/2017
Two weeks prior notice required. When scheduling a room, please include recording setup and cleanup time: 30 minutes before and after for option 1; one hour before and 30 minutes after for options 2 and 3. Questions about audiovisual services and fees can be directed to Devin Donaldson at 801-587-9552.
|Setup of in-room audiovisual equipment (projectors, microphones, computers)||Free|
|Recording option 1 - Audio and screen capture||Free|
|Recording option 2 - Two stationary cameras||$45 setup + $30 per hour recording|
|Recording option 3 - One staffed camera, one stationary||$45 setup + $60 per hour recording|
|Video on demand on stream.lib.utah.edu||Free|
|Post-production (editing, DVD authoring, graphics)||$30 per hour|
|DVD, basic||$2.50 per disc|
|DVD, printed label and jacket||$10 per disc|