Copyright & Use Restrictions on Photographs and Audio-Visual Materials
1. All photographs, audio-visual materials, and digital images are the property of the University of Utah. Reproduction or redistribution of these in any form including on websites is forbidden without the express written consent of the Special Collections Department, J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah.
2. Photographic and Audio-visual materials do not circulate and must be used in the Special Collections Reading Room.
3. The Photograph Archives can provide high-resolution digital scans and/or prints of an image from the collections. The Photograph Reproduction Order Form, found on the Photograph Archives website, is required before an order can be filled.
4. The Photograph Archives can provide access copies of audio-visual materials from the collections. Use of audio-visual materials requires 48 hours notice. Some audio-visual items may not be immediately available due to lack of playback equipment.
5. No photocopying of original photographs is allowed. No use of personal scanners or digital cameras is allowed.
6. Any one-time, non-exclusive use of photographs or digital images for publication, exhibition, or other purposes requires written permission from this department. Requests for use of Photograph Archives materials in any type or publication or broadcast requires completion of an Application for Permission to Publish. A use fee is charged for commercial, for-profit use of photographs, digital images, or audio-visual materials from the Photograph Archives. Copies of all forms can be found on the Photograph Archives website.
7. Materials used for exhibition or publication must be credited to the Photograph Archives, Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah.
8. The publishing party will supply the Photograph Archives with two copies of the book, periodical, or any other work in which a photograph is published, or in which any portion of an audio-visual item is used.
9. The library does not claim to control the copyright for all materials in its various collections. The publishing party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. The library has no readily available information concerning the existence and/or whereabouts of copyright holders.
10. The library reserves the right to refuse permission for the use or reproduction of materials when such restrictions have been specified by a donor.
11. The user agrees to defend, indemnify, and save and hold harmless the University of Utah, the J. Willard Marriott Library, the Special Collections Department, the Photograph Archives and their employees or designates, the State of Utah and its agencies, employees or designates, from any and all costs, expense, damage and liability arising because of any claim whatsoever which may be presented by anyone for loss or damage or other relief occasioned or caused by the release of said photographs to the undersigned and their use in any manner, including their inspection, publication, reproduction, duplication or printing by anyone for any purpose whatsoever.
Photo Curator/ Archivist
Assistant Photograph Archivist
Molly Rose Steed
Moving Image & Sound Archivist
Assistant Moving Image and Sound Archivist