Maureen O'Hara Ure
Maureen O'Hara Ure was born in Detroit, Michigan in 1949. A talented and creative mixed media artist, she creates works that are coded assemblages. She lives in Salt Lake City, Utah.
O'Hara Ure earned a BFA in art history from the University of Utah in 1979. She studied sculpture under Vincent Glinsky at New York University from 1971 until 1972. Later she earned an MFA from the University of Utah in 1979 where Frank Anthony Smith was an influence.
Mystery Theater (1981) is an example of her work. Her work has been shown in numerous one- and two-person shows in Salt Lake City and other major cities. O' Hara Ure's paintings are held in the collections of Salt Lake County, the Utah Museum of Fine Arts, and the Utah State collection of fine arts.
Biography adapted from Artists of Utah.
This creative artist and teacher was born in Detroit, Michigan. She earned degrees at the University of Utah in art history (B.F.A., 1970) and drawing and painting (M.F.A., 1979), as well as attended New York University and University of South Carolina. Over the years, she has earned many awards and grants including 3 Graduate Research Fellowship and a Faculty Creative Research Grants from the University of Utah, the Award of Merit from the American Association of University Women, an Honorarium from ARC/Raw Space Gallery (Chicago), and grants from the Utah Arts Council and Salt Lake City Arts Council. Today, a resident of Salt Lake City and an adjunct faculty member of the Department of Art at the University of Utah, Maureen O'Hara Ure is the creator of works that are coded assemblages of forms and objects personal in meaning and intriguing to behold.
- 1976-1979- Master of Fine Arts, Painting, University of Utah
- 1972- 1973- University of South Carolina
- 1971-1972- New York University
- 1967-1970- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Art History, University of Utah
- 2005- A New World Bestiary, Art Access Gallery, Salt Lake City
- 2003- Souvenirs, Installation, Finch Lane Gallery, Salt Lake City
- 2000- Finch Lane Gallery, Salt Lake City
- 1999- The Roxbury Latin School, West Roxbury
- 1999- Fever, Phillips Gallery, Salt Lake City
- 1991- Pierpont Gallery, Salt Lake City
- 1990- Gittins Gallery, Salt Lake City
- 1989- SPACE, Los Angeles
- 1988- Finch Lane Gallery, Salt Lake City
- 1987- Matrix Gallery, Sacramento
- 1983- SPACE, Los Angeles
- 1981- Arts Place, Portland, Oregon
- 1981- Arizona State University, Tempe
- 1980- Meadows Museum, Shreveport, Louisiana
- 1980- Municipal Art Gallery, Barnsdall Park, Los Angeles
- 1980- Phillips Gallery, Salt Lake City
With poet Katherine Coles:
- 1997- Natural Histories, Salt Lake Art Center, Salt Lake City
- 1993- Natural Histories, Finch Lane Gallery, Salt Lake City
With poet Bonnie Sucec:
- 1989- Soft on Crime, ARC/Raw Space Gallery, Chicago
- 1986- True Stories, Finch Lane Gallery, Salt Lake City
- 1983- Salt Lake Art Center, Salt Lake City
- Phillips Gallery, Salt Lake City
- Assistant Professor Lecturer, University of Utah
Selected awards and grants
- 2005- Faculty Creative Research Grant, University of Utah
- 2005- Individual Artist Project Grant, Utah Arts Council
- 2003- Faculty Creative Research Grant, University of Utah
- 2002- Faculty Creative Research Grant, University of Utah
- 1997- Individual Artist's Grant, Utah Arts Council
- 1997- Development Grant, Salt Lake City Arts Council
- 1992- Individual Artist's Grant, Utah Arts Council
- 1989- Honorarium, ARC/Raw Space Gallery, Chicago
- 1983- Award of Merit, American Association of University Women
- 1981- Award, Utah'81
- 1980 Grant Award, Utah Painters 1980
- 1979- Award' Utah' 79
- 1977- Graduate Research Fellowship, University of Utah
Publications of work
- 2002- SWOON ~ from the Italy sketchbooks
- Artist's book, ed. 35 with poem by Katherine Cole, The Hand in Glove Press
- 2001- Cover, The Golden Years of the Fourth Dimension. Poems Katherine Coles. University of Nevada Press
- 2000- Cover, Reading Under the sign of nature: new essays in Ecocriticism, University of Utah Press
- 2000- Cover and Illustrations, Poetry comes up where it can: An Anthology, University of Utah Press
- 1999-Artists of Utah, Illustration, Gibbs Smith
- 1996- The Crossroads Anthology, Illustration
- 1994- Quarterly West, Cover and Illustration
- 1994- Ellipsis, Illustration
- 1981- Calyx, Illustration
- 1981- Phoenix Art Museum Catalogue, Interview and illustration
- 1981-Grand Beehive Catalogue, Smithsonian Institution, Illustrations
- 1990- Sundance Institute Playwrights Lab, Sundance, Utah
- 1980-1986- Utah Arts Council, Artists-in-Education
- 1980- Shreveport Arts Council, Shreveport, Louisiana
- 1980- Columbia College, Columbia, Missouri
- Utah State Collection of Fine Arts
- Stanford University, Green Library, Special Collections
- Salt Lake County Art Collection
- Utah Museum of Fine Arts
- Department of Health, State of Utah
- The Museum of Albuquerque
- University of Utah , J. Willard Marriott Library, Special Collections
Presentations and other Professional activities
- 2004- Matter and Spirit, Wells College, symposium on fine art books. Small- edition, Hand-colored book SWOON was featured in conference exhibition, displayed with ancillary materials, including on site-sketchbooks from travels in Italy.
- 2000- The Book Unbound: Collaboration between Artist and Poet/Gallery Installations of Image and Text, slide presentation and discussion of ongoing experiments with poet-collaborator Katherine Coles. Conference: Material Cultures: The Book, the text, and the archive. Center for the history of the book, University of Edinburgh, Scotland.
- 2000- Juror, Nevada Individual Artist's Fellowship Competition.
- 1999- Grafting and Hybridization: Writers in Collaboration, Panel, Conference: Writers at Work, Westminister College, Salt Lake City.
- 1999- Collaboration, slide presentation and discussion of ongoing work with Coles, Research Design course, a graduate seminar in the Department of Modern Dance, University of Utah.
- 1997- Natural Histories, discussions with katherine Coles of collaborative process, Salt Lake Art Center.
- 1996- Slide presentation and discussion of work-in-progress, Zonta, Alta Club, Salt Lake City.
- 1991- Video interview in conjunction with Spirit of the West exhibition.
- 1990- Slide presentation and discussion of creative process; the theatre in my development and imagery, Sundance Institute Playwrighters Lab.
- 1990- The Dramatic Moment: A Look at How Time Works in Painting and in Drama, a Conversation with David Kranes, slide presentation and discussion. Writers at Work, Park City.
- 1988- Interview in conjunction with one person show, Finch Lane Gallery, by Carleen Jimenez, Our Arts, KRCL Radio.
Selected Private Collections
- Daniel Melnick, Los Angeles
- Betye Saar, Hollywood
- Lawrence Gipe, Los Angeles
- John and Anne Milliken, Salt Lake City
- Mark and Susan Upson, Long Beach
- Lori Nelson and Dan Campbell, Brooklyn
- Seiji Kunishima, Nagoya, Japan
- Laurie Andrews, Chicago
- Richard Green, Los Angeles
- Susan Mirow, Salt Lake City
- Joanne Burstein, San Geronimo
- Connie Borup, Salt Lake City
- Dennis Hudson and Nancy Noble, Irvine
- Judith Palarz, Encino
- Katherine Coles and Chris Johnson, Salt Lake City
- Judith Whitmer, Salt Lake City
- Roger Faxon, San Rafael
- Peter Daltorio, Long Beach
- John and Lynn Pleshette, Los Angeles
- Denis and Bonnie Phillips, Salt Lake City
- Frederick Mayer Investments, Denver
- Michael and Kate Lahey, Salt Lake City
- Young and Sanders, Anchorage
- Jeanie Marston, Shreveport
- Richard Burton, Salt Lake City
- Stephens Goldsmith, Salt Lake City
- Sidney and Ann Weinsten, Roanoke
- Julie Kemper, Santa Monica
- Sandra and Erik Brunvand, Salt Lake City
- Barbara Pascal, Los Angeles
- Steve and Rita Weisskoff, New York City
- Gerald Klor, San Rafael
- Jane Giles, Salt Lake City
- Sabato Fiorello, Hollywood
- Beth Sellars, Seattle
- Dick Dorso, Beverly Hills
- Hank Lewis, Park City
- Emilie Charles and Bri Wilkinson, Salt Lake City
- Anna Gardner, San Francisco
- David and Carol Kranes, Salt Lake City
- Leo Kassel, La Jolla
- Bill and Joan Coles, Salt Lake City
- Clara Rose, Los Angeles
- Ken and Elizabeth Moritz, Playa del Rey
- Town Club, Salt Lake City
- Skip Paul, Universal City
- Robert Hrebek, Sea Girt
- Masafumi Maita, Oiso-shi, Japan
- Diane Hamilton and Michael Zimmerman, Salt Lake City
To contact this artist email at: Maureen.OHaraUre@utah.edu
Biography courtesy of artist.
"'A History of the Garden' Began in Coles' Unconscious." The Salt Lake Tribune, March 30, 1997.
"Art notes: Mixed-media show opens at Kimball." The Salt Lake Tribune, July 7, 1991.
"Art scene: Festival's sculpture and crafts display moves to Art Center." The Salt Lake Tribune, July 14, 1991.
"Best Bets For The Week Ahead." The Salt Lake Tribune, August 23, 1992.
"'Chairs' 'What an Art Show Should Be'." Omaha World – Herald, October 2, 1988.
"Coming Up: Visual Art." The Salt Lake Tribune, June 16, 2002.
"Coming Up: Visual Art." The Salt Lake Tribune, February 17, 2000.
"Coming Up: Visual Art." The Salt Lake Tribune, October 25, 1998.
"Coming Up: Visual Art." The Salt Lake Tribune, October 5, 1997.
"Coming Up: Art." The Salt Lake Tribune, May 14, 1995.
"Galleries Of Gifts." The Salt Lake Tribune, November 29, 1998.
"Hot Tickets For The Weekend." The Salt Lake Tribune, February 19, 1993.
"In the Limelight." The Salt Lake Tribune, March 16, 1997.
"Nature's 'Souvenirs." The Deseret News, November 23, 2003.
"Natural Disasters' Chronicles Hard Work of Living." The Salt Lake Tribune, March 21, 1993.
"Paintings To Beat Winter's Blahs." The Salt Lake Tribune, January 26, 1992.
"Scholar: Utahn Wins Rhodes Honors A Bronte In The Making? Utahn Is Honored As Rhodes Scholar." The Salt Lake Tribune, December 12, 1994.
"Showing at Local Galleries." The Deseret News, November 30, 2003.
"Sundance Lab will Focus on 10 New Plays." The Deseret News, July 1, 1990.
"Tony Berlantz's "Motel Jesus" offers a transparent hoax that includes dissected TV trays, tin, wood and leather. Show Offers A Small-Scale History Of S.L. Arts Community." The Salt Lake Tribune, July 25, 1993.
"Utah Artist Inspires Exhibition." The Salt Lake Tribune, June 21, 1992.
"Utah Marquee: Visual Art." The Salt Lake Tribune, January 2, 2004.
"Utah Marquee: Visual Art." The Salt Lake Tribune, January 2, 1998.
Olpin, Robert S., William C. Seifrit, and Vern G. Swanson. Artists of Utah. Salt Lake City, UT: Gibbs Smith Publisher, 1999.
Oman, Richard G., and Robert O Davis. Images of Faith: Art of the Latter-Day Saints. Salt Lake City, UT: Deseret Book Co., 1995.
Swanson, Vern G., Robert S. Olpin, Donna Poulton, and Janie L. Rogers. 150 Year Survey Utah Art & Artists. Salt Lake City, UT: Gibbs Smith, 2002.
Swanson, Vern G, Robert S. Olpin, and William C. Seifrit. Utah Painting and Sculpture. Layton, UT: Gibbs Smith Publisher, 1997.
Swanson, Vern G., Robert S. Olpin, and William C. Seifrit. Utah Art. Layton, UT: Gibbs Smith Publishing Co, 1991.
Ure, Maureen O'Hara. "Fire-work." M.F.A. thesis, University of Utah, 1979.
Watson-Jones, Virginia. Contemporary American Women Sculptors. Phoenix, AZ: Oryx Press, 1986.