A Rare Books Exhibition for 50th Anniversary of the J. Willard Marriott Library
Curated by Lyuba Basin and Luise Poulton, 2018
Exhibition poster designed by Scott Beadles, 2018
Digital exhibition produced by Lyuba Basin, 2020
Rare Books joins in the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the J. Willard Marriott Library, recognizing the work of the Friends of the Library, past, present, and future, in its charge to keep our collections safe and growing at a time when digital matter consumes students and administrators alike.
JOHN R. PARK, UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT (1869–1892)
CATALOGUE OF BOOKS IN THE LIBRARY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF DESERET
University of Deseret
Salt Lake City, UT: Deseret News Steam Printing Establishment, 1875
Z664 S3 A3
Within a few short years of their arrival in the Salt Lake valley in 1847, the Mormon pioneers took the first halting steps toward establishing a university. The University of Deseret, as it was to be called, was created by an act of the General Assembly of the State of Deseret on February 28, 1850. Some years later, under President John R. Park, the University of Deseret finally began to set down solid roots in the community. During the twenty-year years President Park held his position, he donated hundreds of books from his personal library to the University’s, developing the origins of the Marriott Library we know today. Many of those books still remain in what is now called the John R. Park Collection, distributed within the Rare Books Department and located within this 1875 catalogue of books from the University of Deseret. Alphabetically arranged and including a supplement, the catalog describes the library’s regulations in the early years of the University: “To obtain any book from the Library, look in the Catalogue for its number, under the Initial Letter of its Title, Author’s name, or the Subject of which it treats; report your name, with the number of the book as found in the Catalogue, to the Librarian, who will obtain the book for you.”
THE LIFE AND ADVENTURES OF NICHOLAS NICKLEBY…
Charles Dickens (1812 – 1870)
London: Chapman and Hall, 1839
PR4565 A1 1867
From the John R. Park Library Collection. Illustrated by Phiz. Frontispiece portrait by Finden after Maclise. Issued in twenty monthly numbers. This copy bound in one volume without paper covers.
AN ESSAY ON MAN WITH ILLUSTRATIONS AND NOTES BY S.R. WELLS
Alexander Pope (1688 – 1744)
New York: Samuel R. Wells, 1867
B3216 C33 E8 1867
From the John R. Park Library Collection. In four epistles written in heroic couplets to St. John, Lord Bolingbroke. Originally printed in 1733-1734, An Essay on Man seeks to “vindicate the ways of God to man.” The poem concerns itself with God’s creations and the natural order of things through and by scientific examination. However, Pope claimed that in spite of all the progress and advancements man has made in science, he is still a “fool” because he cannot know the true purpose of things and therefore must accept that “Whatever IS, is RIGHT.” This later edition includes a list of works by publisher, S.R. Wells.
A MEMORY OF DR. JOHN R. PARK
Alfred Lambourne (1850 – 1926)
Salt Lake City, UT: 19 —
PS3523 A44 M46
Alfred Lambourne was an English-born American artist and author who, at the age of 16, arrived with his family and other Mormon Pioneers to the American West. Lambourne was best remembered for his art work depicting various landscapes in Utah, California, Colorado and Arizona. Requested by University of Utah President John A. Widtsoe, Lambourne composed a brief memorial to former President Park depicting him as a filled with a hope for the future. Recalling a conversation, Dr. Park once proclaimed, “How I love those sounds of human life, of industry, traffic, progress, civilization, which come up from the awakening city, which speak of the development of our west, our country.”
MEMORIAL ADDRESSES IN HONOR OF DR. JOHN R. PARK...
Salt Lake City, UT: Deseret News, 1901
LA2317 P35 U8 1901
From the prefatory: “On Wednesday, February 6, 1901, the Senate and the House of Representatives of the Utah Legislature convened in Joint Session for the purpose of hearing and address from Senator Whitney, delivered by request, upon the life and character of Dr. John R. Park, for several years and up to the time of his death, State Superintendent of Public Instruction, in whose honor a resolution of respect had been introduced in the Senate by Mr. Allison.”
DR. JOHN ROCKY PARK: IN MEMORIAM
Levi Edgar Young (1874 – 1963)
Salt Lake City, UT: 1919
LD5532.7 1869 A47
Professor Levi Edgar Young, head of the Department of Western History during the early 20th century dedicated a memorial book to the former students of Dr. John R. Park, and to the future students of the University of Utah. Dr. Park, honored as the “Father of the University of Utah” and “the man who built a University in the Wilderness.” Young’s memoriam contains a brief biography of Dr. Park that begins with his origins in Ohio to his death in 1900. A memorial program was held at the June, 1919 Commencement to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Dr. Park's reopening of the school in 1869. The John R. Park Building on President’s Circle now stands to commemorate his legacy.
JOHN R. PARK MEMORIALS: A COLLECTION OF PAMPHLETS
Salt Lake City, UT: 1919
LD5532.7 1869 A48
Collection of pamphlets compiled after 1919 Graduation Commencement in celebration to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Dr. Park’s reopening of the University of Desert. Includes memorial addresses by Alfred Lambourne and Levi Edgar Young, sheet music from “Memorial Ode” written by Evan Stephens, a program of the commencement and later transcriptions of keynote speakers from the ceremony.
1974 KEEPSAKE, FRIENDS OF THE J. WILLARD MARRIOTT LIBRARY
A HISTORICAL NOTE ON BEN HOLLADAY BY SAM WELLER
University of Utah Libraries
J. Willard Marriott Library, 1974
F591 F74 No. 3
The 1974 keepsake of the Friends of the J. Willard Marriott Library at the University of Utah presents a facsimile of Ben Holladay’s Table of Distances. Holladay is considered one of the most colorful and controversial figures of the American frontier and is known for his contribution to the settlement, development and exploitation of the great routes which ultimately connected the nation. The Ben Holladay Overland Stage Line arose in 1862 out of his freighting and merchandising expertise and by 1866 it became one of the most successful operating stage lines in the West. Held in the Rare Books Department of the Marriott Library, this copy published in Denver is unique in that it is the only known edition from 1862.
BEN HOLLADAY: REPORT [TO ACCOMPANY BILL H.R. 6091]
United States Congress
Washington D.C., 1882
F594 H73 U8 1882
In May 1882, a joint session by Congress reviewed a financial claim made by Ben Holladay in which a testimony of more than thirty witnesses reported that Holladay was fairly and equitably entitled to the sum of $526,739 – which was reduced by the Senate to only $100,000. The report includes full details of the Overland Stage Line, its budget, schedules and contract with the United States government, along with transcripts of interviews and testimonies.
THE OVERLAND TRAIL: A SCENIC GUIDE BOOK “THROUGH THE HEART OF THE SIERRAS”
H.H. Tammen Company
Denver : H. H. Tammen Company, after 1913
F581 H25 1913z
A souvenir book containing color illustrations made from photographs of the most striking objects of interest along the Southern Pacific. Description of the views depicts a trip through the western slope of the Sierra Nevada Mountains via the Overland Trail of the Southern Pacific. The summit of the range is crossed through a natural pass made by the Canyon of the Truckee River – a wild gorge carved slowly in the course of centuries by the waters flowing out of Lake Tahoe. The historical days of the Forty-niner and the Far West are brought vividly to mind as for miles the train keeps close to the old Emigrant trail, rolling over a region which was once the bottom of a great inland lake. The Southern Pacific Overland Trail route boasts that its travelers will be nothing more than amazed on the road aptly named, “The Road of a Thousand Wonders.” This copy is an exclusive edition print which features 23 colored plates and map of the Southern Pacific Lines that include Sunset, Ogden and Shasta routes.
1982, FIRST KEEPSAKE OF THE RED BUTTE PRESS
DE HISTORIA STIRPIUM, LEONARD FUCHS, 1542: IN CELEBRATION OF THE MARRIOTT'S TWO MILLIONTH VOLUME
Salt Lake City, UT: Red Butte Press, 1982
Z232.5 R5 D4
The first keepsake of the Red Butte Press, made possible by Dr. Claudius and Catherine Gates, the Olive Woolley Burt Memorial Fund and the John W. James, Jr. Memorial Fund. Printed on an 1846 Columbian handpress. Edition of 50 copies.
DE HISTORIA STIRPIVM COMMENTARII INSIGNES…
Leonhart Fuchs (1501 – 1566)
QK41 F7 1542
During the European Renaissance, medical treatments were based on botany, but the herbals and other books available to practitioners often inaccurately identified plants. This herbal, The History of Plants, established a new standard of scientific observation and accurate illustration. Leonhart Fuchs compiled his text from various classical sources but added his own field observations. The remarkably detailed woodcuts, drawn by Heinrich Fullmaurer and Albrecht Meyer and cut by Veit Rudolf Speckle represent the first published illustrations of American plants, including the pumpkin, the marigold, maize, potato, and tobacco – all native to Mexico and introduced into Europe as a consequence of the Columbian Encounter. The plants were identified in Latin, Greek, and German. Leonhart Fuchs was a child genius, matriculating at Erfurt University at the age of twelve. He went on to take a degree in medicine at Ingolstadt. His medical work during an outbreak of plague in 1529 was outstanding and contributed to an already growing reputation. In his De Historia Stirpium he gave full recognition to his artists by praising them in his preface and publishing their portraits. The artists achieved an extraordinary beauty of line. Their renderings demonstrate the Renaissance shift to the accurate observation and drawing of plants from life. Fuchs would be immortalized in the lovely genus Fuchsia. English artist and designer William Morris owned a copy of Fuchs’s book and clearly took inspiration from it for some of his own designs.
1991 KEEPSAKE, FRIENDS OF THE J. WILLARD MARRIOTT LIBRARY
A LEAF FROM AN OLD COPTIC LECTIONARY
University of Utah. Libraries
J. Willard Marriott Library,
F591 F74 No. 8, 1991
The Qatamurus, a word derived from the Greek katameros signifying ‘in parts’ or ‘in turn,’ is a collection of readings drawn from the Old and New Testaments to be read on certain days and occasions – a particular office or mass and various feasts and celebrations – In the Coptic Church, Christianity’s oldest establishment in Egypt.. This illuminated manuscript, a bilingual Annual Qatamarus or Lectionary of the Coptic Church copied in Egypt in the 17th or 18th century reveals the traditional methods of production (on rag paper) that required years of painstaking labor by monks as an act of devotion, or by scribes commissioned by devout families for presentation to the congregation.
HANDWRITTEN AND HAND PAINTED ETHIOPIAN COPTIC MANUSCRIPT
ca 11th century
This manuscript is written in Ethiopic (Ge’ez), a Semitic language that is no longer spoken, but is still used for liturgical and other religious purposes by the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. Part of a larger collection of such manuscripts at the Marriott Library, these books have wooden covers, a distinctive sewing pattern, and pages made of animal skin. This “Coptic” binding style has endured for over fifteen hundred years. So durable and practicable is it that today’s professional book conservators often choose this style of binding to preserve our most rare and valuable materials.
ca 17th century
A bilingual lectionary of the Coptic Church, this illuminated manuscript was copied in Egypt in the 17th or 18th century, reproducing texts going back to the very beginning of the Coptic Church, Christianity’s oldest establishment in Egypt. The Qatamarus is a collection of readings drawn from the Old and New Testaments to be read on certain days and occasions in the Coptic Church. The Quatamarus consists of four books: The Annual Qatamarus; the Great Lent Qatamarus; the Pascha or Holy Week Qatamarus; and the Pentecost Qatamarus covering readings for the six weeks after Pascha. The lectionary, still in general use today, was traditionally produced through years of painstaking labor by monks as an act of devotion or by scribes commissioned by devout families for presentation to the congregation. Among the illuminations are decorations with horseshoe arch forms and animal motifs, showing the influence of Egyptian traditions on Christian art. The title page is headed by an illumination with three Coptic crosses. Chapter titles are rubricated in a script different than the text. At the beginning of each paragraph is a marginal large painted letter in animal and cruciform shapes. Gift from Dr. Aziz S. Atiya
1992 KEEPSAKE, FRIENDS OF THE J. WILLARD MARRIOTT LIBRARY
IN CELEBRATION BY MARK STRAND
University of Utah Libraries
J. Willard Marriott Library, 1992
PS3569 T69 I62 1992
The 1992 keepsake of the Friends of the J. Willard Marriott Library at the University of Utah presents a limited edition of “In Celebration” to recognize Professor of English and Poet Laureate of the United States, Mark Strand. The poem was originally published in The Ohio Review, and later formed one of a group poems called “The Room” in The Story of Our Lives. This limited edition broadside was handprinted on the Marriott Library’s 1846 Columbian press in 14pt Bembo and 30pt Goudy Open. The paper is Arches Cover White. Signed by the author.
THE STORY OF OUR LIVES: POEMS
Mark Strand (1934 – 2014)
New York: Atheneum, 1973
PS3569 T69 S7 1973
The Story of Our Lives is the fourth collection of poetry written by Mark Stand, which includes many poems formerly published in The New Yorker and The Ohio Review¸ among other publications. Strand was a Professor of English at the University of Utah in 1981–1993, during which he was awarded as the Poet Laureate of the United States. This collection of poetry is divided in three parts and unlike his previous work, the poems in this collection are longer, more mysterious: “they deal with the terra infirma of our lives, the nebulous destinies of fixed relationships, the unreliable past – elusive yet inviting.” This first edition copy is signed by the author.
A POET’S ALPHABET OF INFLUENCES
Mark Strand (1934 – 2014)
Salt Lake City, UT: Red Butte Press, 1993
PS 3569 T69 P64 1994
Drawings by Bonnie Sucec. Issued in a linen-bound case. Printed under the direction of Everett L. Cooley. Edition of 75 copies, signed by poet and artists. University of Utah copies are no. 20 and no. 27.
1994 KEEPSAKE, FRIENDS OF THE J. WILLARD MARRIOTT LIBRARY
THE BOOK AND THE GREAT COMMUNITY BY WALLACE STEGNER
University of Utah Libraries
J. Willard Marriott Library, 1994
F591 F74 No. 11
The 1994 keepsake of the Friends of the J. Willard Marriott Library at the University of Utah commemorates the 25th anniversary since what was then simply “the new library” opened its doors. It reproduces the address that Wallace Stegner, one of the University’s most distinguished alumni, delivered at the dedication of May 17, 1968. It is altogether fitting that Stegner’s dedicatory address in 1968 and its reproduction should bracket Marriott Library’s quarter century. At the dedication, in a time of trouble when the antics of a counter-culture were burning libraries rather than building them, he dared to look ahead when he declared that “to erect a great library in the year 1968 is an act of stubborn and sassy faith.”
THE BIG ROCK CANDY MOUNTAIN
Wallace Stegner (1909 – 1993)
New York: Editions for the Armed Services, 1943
Armed Services edition
PS3537 T316 B5 1943
Armed Services Editions (ASE) were published by the Council on Books in Wartime from 1943 until 1947. The Council was made up of publishers, booksellers, authors, and librarians as a part of the war effort, mobilizing all sectors of the book industry. The goal was to disseminate information and ideas, build morale, and fight loneliness and the boredom of the ubiquitous military “hurry up and wait” life. The books were printed on inexpensive paper using presses idled by the war effort. Portability was the first priority of production. The books had to be small enough to fit a soldier’s uniform cargo pockets. There was a 512-page limit. In several instances, books had to be condensed. Wallace Stegner cut The Big Rock Candy Mountain by 15 percent for the ASE and the book was condensed further by editors. Editions for the Armed Services provided a variety of reading material to troops overseas or in hospital. Poetry, mysteries, sports, westerns, travel and adventure offered respite and refuge from the stress of fight. Living and dead authors included F. Scott Fitzgerald, Jack London, William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, Edgar Allen Poe, and Walt Whitman. The books were not intended for sale. They were purposely made in a less-than-durable manner to reduce the cost of production as well as to reduce the chance of free books flooding the post-war market. Publishers also saw this as a way to give “… millions of men… an opportunity to learn what a book is and what it can mean… in post-war years… exert[ing] a tremendous influence on the post-war course of the industry.” In fact, the program helped create a generation of men accustomed to having a book perpetually at hand and the post-war publishing industry flourished. These pocket-sized paperbacks comprised the largest literature giveaway in the history of book publication. More than 120 million copies of 1,322 titles were distributed, but only a fraction of them survived the rigors of wartime.
Wallace Stegner (1909 – 1993)
Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, 1979
PS3537 T316 R39 1979
Wallace Stegner’s semi-autobiographical work, The Big Rock Candy Mountain, follows the fictional Mason family who, like Stegner’s own, frequently traveled and lived in several cities across the United States and Canada. The novel was first published in 1943 but its sequel, Recapitulation, was not released until 1979, 36 years later. Stegner is often referred to as the “Dean of Western Writers” but he was also a historian, teacher, and environmentalist. He received his BA at the University of Utah and later taught as a Professor of English before heading to Stanford University, where he founded the Creative Writing Program in 1946. The Marriott library Manuscripts Division holds a collection of personal and professional correspondence, manuscript drafts, research material, memorabilia, and scrapbooks compiled by his wife Mary Stegner. This first edition copy is signed by the author.
1995 KEEPSAKE, FRIENDS OF THE J. WILLARD MARRIOTT LIBRARY
TRANSITIONS AND TRANSFORMATIONS: BITS & BYTES OF MARRIOTT LIBRARY HISTORY BY WILLIAM MULDER
University of Utah Libraries
J. Willard Marriott Library, 1995
F591 F74 No. 12
The 1995 keepsake of the Friends of the J. Willard Marriott Library at the University of Utah presents an essay by Dr. William Mulder. Dr. Mulder’s essay depicts bits and bytes of library history on campus, from its earliest rendition of Dr. John Park’s personal collection to its recent renovation in 1995. The growth of the library is measured not just in size and structure, but in its evolution from hundreds to millions of books, in addition to new media and resources for new generations of incoming students.
THE NORTH AMERICAN INDIAN
Edward S. Curtis (1868 – 1952)
Seattle, WA: E.S. Curtis, 1907-30
A collection of 2,232 photogravures of American Indians taken between 1890 and 1930 and published between 1907 and 1930. A massive project, professional photographer Edward Curtis’ intention was to document every major tribe west of the Mississippi, portraying what he perceived to be a vanishing culture. While he was neither the first nor the last person to photograph the American Indian, he was surely the most prolific. His monumental publication presented to the public an extensive ethnographic study of numerous peoples. His photographs survive today as memorable icons of the American Indian. The North American Indian consists of twenty portfolios of photogravures and twenty volumes of field notes bound with smaller gravures. A total of 272 complete sets were originally issued. A photogravure is made from a printing process utilizing a copper plate that is made from a glass positive which itself is made from a glass negative. The plate is hand wiped with sepia inks. Excess ink is removed and the plate is forced onto paper with a handpress, capturing all the etched details on the plate. The photogravure produces a soft, atmospheric appearance similar to that achieved by French Impressionist painters. This photographic process, along with drawing and painting on negatives, platinotypes and gum prints, was popular at the end of the nineteenth century. The movement, known as “Pictorialism” was a way for photographers to add personal vision and expression to their works. The portfolio gravures were printed on three different papers, Van Gelder, a watermarked paper, Vellum, a rice paper, and Tissue, Japanese handmade silk tissues. Forty of the original sets were printed on Tissue, the rest equally split between Van Gelder and Vellum.
1996 KEEPSAKE, FRIENDS OF THE J. WILLARD MARRIOTT LIBRARY
Luke Cosgrave; pictures by Le Conte Stewart
Salt Lake City, UT: Friends of the Marriott Library, 1996
F591 F74 No. 14
The 1996 keepsake of the Friends of the J. Willard Marriott Library at the University of Utah is a facsimile of an original 1947 edition, reprinted from engraved plates by the Red Butte Press.
Luke Cosgrave; pictures by Le Conte Stewart
PS3505 O785 R48 1947
Written in 1917 by Irish-American thespian, Luke Cosgrave, the simple recitation poem, a gift to Utah’s children, was developed from stories Cosgrave had collected while traveling through the state. A Review, was later hand lettered and illustrated by Utah artist, LeConte Stewart, to celebrate Utah’s 150th anniversary of the arrival of the Mormon settlers into the Great Salt Lake Valley.
Luke Cosgrave (b. 1862)
Hollywood, CA: House-Warven, 1952
PN2287 C633 A3 1952
Luke Cosgrave was the stage name for Irish-born immigrant, Sean Maccosggair, who toured the Western United States in traveling theater troupes for thirty years before finally become a character actor in Hollywood. Published posthumously by his daughter, Theater Tonight is an autobiographical story detailing Cosgrave’s account of early theater, Mormon pioneers, and gold camps in the American West. This first edition also includes a section of black and white photo plates from Cosgrave’s various performances.
SELECTIONS FROM THE MARRIOTT LIBRARY'S HOLIDAY CARDS
MARRIOTT LIBRARY HOLIDAY CARDS
University of Utah. Libraries
J. Willard Marriott Library, 1990 –
Holiday cards printed for the J. Willard Marriott Library with illustrations and images from books held in the Rare Books Department.
Andreas Cellarius (1595 – 1665)
Amsterdam: Jansson, 1661
The Celestial Atlas of Harmony was published in varying formats in 1660, 1661, 1666, and 1708. Very few copies of the first edition of 1660 survive. (One known copy is held by the British Museum). The Harmonia Macrocosmica, a summary of pre-Newtonian astronomy, compares the various cosmological theories up to and of that time, including those of Ptolemy, Tycho Brahe, and Copernicus. The geocentric theories of Ptolemy, suggesting that the earth is the center of the universe, are contrasted with those of Copernicus, who put the sun at the center of the solar system. Tycho Brahe’s theory attempted to unify the two. Brahe’s version shows the sun revolving around the earth and the rest of the planets revolving around the sun. The book also has sections on the Earth’s climate zones, the sizes of the sun, moon, and planets, and the constellations of the zodiac. It is this broad overview of astronomical thought that kept the book from being banned under strictures put in place by Pope Paul V in 1616. These same strictures put Galileo under house arrest for the rest of his life after the printing of his Dialogo (1632), which was based on Copernican theory. Andreas Cellarius was the rector of a college in the northern Netherlands. The printer, Jan Jansson, was one of the preeminent publishers of his time. Both art and science were applied to this production, with discoveries heralded by the imaginative images as well as observed fact. Cheerful cherubs float overhead earnest astronomers holding transits and compasses. The first edition was extremely popular, prompting the second edition. This second edition of the atlas contains twenty-nine lavishly designed and hand-colored engraved plates, some of the finest examples of seventeenth-century Dutch cartography in existence. The technique of engraving began in ancient times as a way to decorate objects, particularly of metal. After the development of the printing press in Europe in 1450, engraving became a way to create high quality illustrations which retained precise detail, even after multiple impressions. Specialized tools, known as ‘burins’ and ‘gravers’ of various sizes and shapes were used to cut away the surface of a metal plate.
THE KNOWLEDGE OF THINGS UNKNOWN
London: Printed for W. Thakeray, 1679
“Shewing the Effects of the Planets, and Other Astronomical Constellations. With the Strange Events that Befell Men, Women, and Children, Born Under Them. Compiled by Godfridvs… Together with the Husbandmans Practice: or, Prognostication for Ever; as Teacheth Albert, Alkind, and Ptolomy. With the Shepherd’s Prognostication for the Weather, and Pythagoras his Wheel of Fortune. The names of the principal fairs in England and Wales, together set forth; with the month, day, and place where they be kept, more largely than heretofore.
THE BIRDS OF AMERICA
John James Audubon (1785 – 1851)
Philadelphia: J.B. Chevalier, 1840-1844
First octavo edition
QL674 A9 1840
The first edition of The Birds of America was printed in London between 1827 and 1838. The four volumes in the first edition measured more than 2 x 3 feet because the plates had life-sized drawings of the birds. James Audubon sold the first edition by subscription for $1,000 per set. By 1838, the last print was issued. Audubon had sold approximately 200 sets. Audubon wanted to have a less expensive set printed, in a more compact size. He contracted with Philadelphia lithographer John T. Bowen to work on production. Bowen, Audubon, and his son, John Woodhouse, worked carefully together to produce an edition of seven octavo-sized volumes that was more accessible, but as beautiful, as the first edition.
BARLAAM & JOSAPHAT
Greenbrae, CA: Allen Press, 1986
Z232.5 A5 B37
This is a late twelfth-century Anglo-Norman romance, particularly interesting because it is a Christianized version of the legend of Buddha. The text of this edition is based on fifteenth-century printer, William Caxton’s first English edition (1484). Illustrated after designs from traditional Indian sources. Designed, printed and bound by Dorothy and Lewis Allen. Printed in Menhart Uncial type on handmade paper with running titles in red. The woodcut initials are after Caxton and hand-colored by Dorothy Allen in vermilion, purple, and mustard. Bound full cloth lettered in vermilion. Edition of one hundred and forty copies.
2003 KEEPSAKE, FRIENDS OF THE J. WILLARD MARRIOTT LIBRARY
AN INFERENCE REGARDING THE EXPEDITION OF LEWIS AND CLARK BY BERNARD DE VOTO
University of Utah. Libraries
J. Willard Marriott Library, 2003
F591 F74 No. 19
The 2003 keepsake of the Friends of the J. Willard Marriott Library at the University of Utah to commemorate the Lewis and Clark bicentennial and recognize the established work of Western Americana author, Bernard DeVoto. “An Inference Regarding the Expedition of Lewis and Clark,” the Penrose Lecture that DeVoto delivered at the American Philosophical Society a few months before his death, is the summing up of his thoughts about the objectives of the expedition. Founded by Benjamin Franklin in 1743, the American Philosophical Society has important connections to the Lewis and Clark story. Thomas Jefferson and Meriwether Lewis were members, and the Society houses the majority of the surviving original journals of the expedition. The annual lecture was started in 1930 through an endowment left to the Society by the estate of R.A.F. Penrose, Jr., a geologist and Society member. Speakers for this continuing lecture series have included distinguished scholars in the humanities and social sciences.
MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES…
United States. President (1801-1809: Jefferson)
City of Washington: A. & G. Way, printers, 1806
“…Captain Meriwether Lewis, of the first regiment of infantry, was appointed, with a party of men, to explore the river Missouri, from its mouth to its source, and, crossing the highlands by the shortest portage, to seek the best water communication thence to the Pacific Ocean; and lieutenant Clarke was appointed second in command. They were to enter into conference with the Indian nations on their route, with a view to the establishment of commerce with them.”
President Thomas Jefferson’s Message is the cover letter for a group of documents that report government-funded explorations in the recently acquired territory known as the “Louisiana Purchase.” Jefferson chose Meriwether Lewis, his private secretary whom he had also trained as a surveyor, to head the expedition. The purchase of land by a President was not exactly constitutional, but by this negotiation Jefferson effectively averted war with Spain. Ironically, the road West eventually meant war just the same, as thousands of Spanish descendants and indigenous peoples were destroyed by famine, disease, military and citizen ambush, and displacement. The journey of Lewis and Clark opened the West to exploration and exploitation, leaving the American Indian essentially homeless, but giving a young nation an unprecedented opportunity for expansion. Edition of one thousand copies.
THE JOURNALS OF LEWIS AND CLARK; EDITED BY BERNARD DEVOTO…
Meriwether Lewis (1774 – 1809)
Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1953
PS3507 E867 J68
Bernard DeVoto’s edition was based on Original Journals of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, edited by Reuben Gold Thwaites and published in 1904-1905 by Dodd, Mead & Company. Considered to be an American classic, DeVoto believed that these journals were by far the most interesting narrative in the history of North American exploration. Although Thwaite’s original edition developed Lewis and Clark’s expedition in runs of seven volumes of text with an additional volume of maps, DeVoto chose to condense and edit the journals to appeal to a more general readership. As originally printed, Journals also includes the courses of the rivers traveled every day, except on return journeys, and sometimes the course or bearing of the land traversed. This copy was donated by Wallace Stegner and is signed by the author.
2004 KEEPSAKE, FRIENDS OF THE J. WILLARD MARRIOTT LIBRARY
FOLK ART AND SYMBOLISM IN EARLY EGYPTIAN NATIONALISM
University of Utah. Libraries
J. Willard Marriott Library, 2004
F591 F74 No. 20
The 2004 keepsake of the Friends of the J. Willard Marriott Library at the University of Utah, has been selected from the rare books collection of the Aziz. S. Atiya Middle East Library. It features political posters from the twentieth century Egypt. The collection of Wafd political posters held by the Marriott Library represents, for the modern history of Egypt, documentation that clearly fits a particular set of conditions at a particular time and contains vivid examples of Wafd party use of symbolism and folk art.
L’ART COPTE: ECOLE D’ALEXANDRIE – ARCHITECTURE MONASTIQUE...
Paris: E. Leroux, 1902
N7382 G39 1902
Published by Ernest Leroux, a French bookseller who specialized in ancient books that dealt with orientalism and archeology, L’art Copte provides an in-depth analysis of Coptic Art featuring illustrations by the author. The preface begs the questions, “And first, what is Coptic Art? And where does this name of Coptic art come from?” Coptic art was developed in Egypt by followers of the Christian faith from the fourth to sixth century AD but the etymology of the word is thought to have derived from the city of Coptos. This book features illustrations of Coptic art in various forms that include items from the School of Alexandria: monastic architecture, sculpture, and painting. From the library of Aziz S. Atiya.
ARABIC COLLECTION: AZIZ S. ATIYA LIBRARY FOR MIDDLE EAST STUDIES
University of Utah, Middle East Library
Salt Lake City, UT: University of Utah Press, 1968
Z7052 U8 1968
One of the top ten Middle East libraries in North America, the Aziz S. Atiya Middle East Library is internationally recognized as a major center of research in Middle Eastern studies. The Middle East Center and the Aziz S. Atiya Middle East Library were first established at the University of Utah in 1959 with the appointment of one faculty member. In 1961, the department finally become official, with a small budget of $5,000 for library acquisitions. As more funds and more books were acquired over the course of the next decade, it became apparent that a catalogue, focusing on Arabic language, would have to be compiled. This volume, along with its accompanying supplement, is intended to be the inception of a series of catalogues covering the holdings of the University of Utah in the field of Middle Eastern studies. Its issue has been selected to commemorate the opening in January 1968 of the new building housing the University General Libraries and Learning center. The Aziz S. Atiya library has since been incorporated into the Rare Books Department.