Copy, Print, & Scan
The easiest way to pay for prints or copies is with a UCard. You can add funds with a credit card at ucard.utah.edu > My UCard Account, or you can add cash at UCard machine at the Knowledge Commons desk. If you don't have a UCard, you can pay for prints with a credit or debit card at the Knowledge Commons desk.
You can print from any computer on Levels 1 and 2 of the Marriott Library or in the outer computer labs. Unprinted jobs are deleted after two hours. In the Knowledge Commons, you can also print on 11"x17" paper (tabloid paper).
- Black & white: 8¢ per one-sided sheet, 14¢ per two-sided sheet.
- Color: 25¢ per one-sided sheet, 40¢ per two-sided sheet.
You can print on the UConnect wireless network after following the instructions below. Once set up, simply go to File > Print in any application and select the desired printer. Your print job will show up under the username on your computer rather than your uNID. Note that the wireless printers have limited support for 11"x17" printing.
- Install the latest Pharos Popup and Notify Clients.
- Open System Preferences and click on the Printers & Scanners icon.
- Click the + button.
- Hold down the Control key on the keyboard and click anywhere on the toolbar. From the popup menu that appears, select Customize Toolbar...
- Drag the Advanced icon to the toolbar and close the customization dialog.
- Click on the Advanced button in the toolbar.
- From the Type popup button, select Pharos Print Server.
- In the URL field, enter the URL for the desired Popup queue on a Pharos Print Server.
- MLib Lv2 Knowledge Commons (B&W): popup://pharossys-ps1.ucard.utah.edu/kcq-1
- MLib Lv2 Knowledge Commons (Color): popup://pharossys-ps1.ucard.utah.edu/kcq-7
- MLib Lv1 Stacks (B&W): popup://pharossys-ps1.ucard.utah.edu/pubq-1
- MLib Lv2 Stacks (B&W): popup://pharossys-ps1.ucard.utah.edu/pubq-2
- MLib Lv3 Family Reading Room (B&W): popup://pharossys-ps1.ucard.utah.edu/frrq-1
- Union Lab Downstairs (B&W): popup://pharossys-ps1.ucard.utah.edu/unionq-1
- Union Lab Downstairs (Color): popup://pharossys-ps1.ucard.utah.edu/unionq-3
- Benchmark Bldg. 820 (B&W): popup://pharossys-ps1.ucard.utah.edu/benchq-1
- Benchmark Bldg. 820 (Color): popup://pharossys-ps1.ucard.utah.edu/benchq-2
- Marriott Honors Community (B&W): popup://pharossys-ps1.ucard.utah.edu/mrsc_m602dnq
- In the Name field, enter a name for the new printer queue. This is the name that will be shown to users on the computer.
- From the Use popup button, select "Generic PostScript Printer".
- Click Add.
- Check the box to indicate that this is a duplex printer (allows two-sided printing).
If you do not have the Tabloid (11"x17") paper option, some programs will allow you to print Tabloid with these steps:
- Go to the Apple menu > System Preferences > Printers & Scanners.
- Select the printer you are using and set the default paper size to Tabloid.
- When printing, this paper size will show up as "Other". You can also change the paper size to US Letter instead.
Connect to the UConnect wireless network to download and install the desired print queue below (in Google Chrome, right click and Save Link As):
- MLib Lv2 Knowledge Commons (B&W)
- MLib Lv2 Knowledge Commons (Color)
- MLib Lv1 Stacks (B&W)
- MLib Lv2 Stacks (B&W)
- MLib Lv3 Family Reading Room (B&W)
- Union Lab Downstairs (B&W)
- Union Lab Downstairs (Color)
- Benchmark Bldg. 820 (B&W)
- Benchmark Bldg. 820 (Color)
- Marriott Honors Community (B&W)
To enable two-sided printing:
- Open devices and printers through the Control Panel.
- Right click the desired printer and choose Printer Properties.
- On the Device Settings tab, scroll down to Installable Options: Duplex Unit (for 2-Sided Printing). Change it from Not Installed to Installed. Click OK.
- When you print a document, configure it for two-sided printing. This setting may be found under preferences after going to File > Print, but it varies by application.
Color poster printing on HP Designjet printers with matte or semigloss paper is available in the Knowledge Commons. To print, save as a JPEG file set to your desired resolution and dimensions, with at least one side that is less than or equal to 41.6". A 0.2" margin will be added to each side of the image. Submit your print online, and you will be notified by e-mail when it is ready to pick up, typically by the next business day. Alternatively you can bring your file on a flash drive to the Knowledge Commons desk.
U student, staff, and faculty pricing: $2.88 per square foot
Other patron pricing: $5.76 per square foot
Departmental payment is available with a PCard (in person or over the phone) or a UShop Print & Carry PO. We are unable to charge a chartfield or account number directly.
Saving from Microsoft PowerPoint
- In PowerPoint, go to File > Save As. Select PDF for the file type.
- Open the PDF in Adobe Photoshop. Verify that the width and height are correct and click OK.
- Check for errors and check the image quality (zoom with View > Zoom In).
- Go to File > Save As. Select JPEG for the file type (not JPEG 2000; click "Save a Copy" if you don't see the JPEG option). Click Save and OK.
Copying & Scanning
Book scanners are available in the Level 1 lobby, Level 2 Knowledge Commons, and Level 3 southwest corner. From these stations, you can save to a file or print. There are various scanners available in the Knowledge Commons, including flatbed scanners and scanners for stacks of paper, 35mm film and slides, and microfilm.
There are two large format scanners in the Fine Arts & Architecture Library (Marriott Library Level 2): a 23.4" x 33.1" book scanner and a 36" wide feeding scanner (no length limitation, but it must be a loose, unbound document).