William R. and Erlyn J. Gould Auditorium
The Gould Auditorium can be scheduled for library sponsored events and University sponsored events no more than 90 days prior to the event. The Gould Auditorium cannot be scheduled for use by groups or individuals outside the University of Utah.
Private Event – events to which only a defined set of attendees is invited, either with or without charge. These may include banquets, workshops, meetings, employee retreats, training sessions, parties, etc.
Public Event – events that are open, either with or without charge, to the campus and/or local community.
All private events will assess a $250 fee for the use of the auditorium, all public events will be free of charge.
A billable chartfield must be provided to the Marriott Library before a reservation can be confirmed. This chartfield is needed for either a public or private event reservation to verify the request is for a University Department. The Marriott Library reserves the right to cancel an event if a valid chartfield is not provided prior to the scheduled time.
If you would like to view the calendar for the auditorium, please visit the scheduler.
When requesting a reservation, please fill out the online request form, which will ask:
- Name, email, phone number, and department of requester
- Name, email, phone number, and department of the person(s) who will be in attendance and in charge for duration of event
- Primary department in charge of event
- Other departments involved
- Event title
- Public or private event (see above)
- Description of how event supports the educational or professional purpose of the University
- Valid chartfield from your University department
- Number of expected attendees and who is invited to attend
- Participant fees
- Date of event
- Any food service including the name of your caterer, their arrival time, and who will be meeting them at a public entrance
- Whether you have event permits or food handler permits that may be necessary to provide food to the public
- Arrival time of person(s) in charge
- Start time and end time of event
- Signage intentions
- Audio/video recording of the event (fees may apply and must be coordinated 2 weeks in advance of the event date)
- Setup style:
- Lecture style (a maximum of 193 total attendees)
- U-shaped boardroom style (a maximum of 35 total attendees)
- O-shaped boardroom style (a maximum of 46 total attendees)
- Banquet style (a maximum of 128 total attendees - 16 round tables with 8 tables at each table)
- Custom setup (requires additional approval)
- Description of furnishings or equipment being provided by third party vendors for an event and the schedule of their delivery/installation
- Number of catering tables or extra tables required
A reservation in the Gould Auditorium includes the use of tables and chairs in one setup from the style options indicated above and the use of the presenter's podium. For a description of AV equipment available at the podium and in the room, click on the equipment tab above. All other needs for your event need to be supplied by you or a vendor (i.e. tablecloths, centerpieces, etc.).
There will be a $200 charge if your event creates a need for cleanup/custodial services beyond the typical daily maintenance.
You may use the caterer of your choice as long as they are licensed and insured. Marriott Library staff cannot meet caterers for coordination and cannot sign for goods or services. Caterers must use public entrances at all times; you must be their contact and able to meet them to accept delivery. If your caterer is not met by you and library staff needs to step in, a minimum of $50 will be charged.
Buying or selling of goods or services, panhandling, and soliciting donations of any kind is not allowed in the library. Sales in the Gould Auditorium must be approved by the Director of Facilities & Operations.
Events must begin and conclude within the posted library hours. Library hours for breaks and holidays differ from normal operating hours, please check library hours prior to scheduling an event.
The Gould Auditorium must be reserved a minimum of 5 business days in advance.
If a private event is canceled less than 24 hours before the scheduled time, a $250 fee will be imposed. If a public event is canceled less than 24 hours before the scheduled time, a $100 fee will be imposed.
To maintain quality service and ensure that the Gould Auditorium can be cleaned and prepared for each event, there is only one event per day and one per weekend.