Minor in Book Arts
A Book Arts Minor is awarded upon completion of four core book arts courses offered through the Department of Art and Art History and an additional two elective courses selected from the elective list. Alternatively, a student can opt to take five core book arts classes and one elective course. Students can take 3000-level courses in the order that works best for their schedule— there is no prescribed sequence.
Minimum Minor hours: 18
Please direct questions regarding the Minor to the faculty mentor for Book Arts, Marnie Powers-Torrey: email@example.com. To declare a minor, schedule an initial advising appointment with College of Fine Arts advisors by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete at least 4 of the following:
- ART 3060 – Non-Major Book Arts: Letterpress Printing I (3)
- BART 3360 – Book Arts: Letterpress Printing I (3)
- ART 3065 – Non-Major Book Arts: Bookbinding I (3)
- BART 3365 – Book Arts: Bookbinding I (3)
- ART 4090 – Non-Major Artists' Books I (3)
- BART 4390 – Artists' Books (3)
- ART 4095 – Non-Major Artists' Books II (3)
- ART 4395 – Artists' Books II (3)
Only one course may be taken from each course pairing: ART 3060 and BART 3360; ART 3065 and BART 3365; ART 4090 and BART 4390; ART 4095 and BART 4395.
Students can opt to take a fifth course from the core courses instead of a second elective.
Complete two of the following:
- ART 1020 – Non-Major Basic Drawing (3)
- ART 1050 – Non-Major Darkroom Photography (3)
- ART 2060 – Non-MajorDigital Photography (3)
- ART 3066 – Papermaking: Fiber, Process, & Creative Application (3)
- BART 3066 – Papermaking: Fiber, Process, & Creative Application (3)
- DES 5320 – Typographic Communication and Book Design (3)
- ENGL 2500 – Introduction to Creative Writing (3)
- ENGL 2510 – Introduction to Creative Writing with Book Arts Workshop (3)
Students can take one course from ART 3066 or BART 3066.
Link to Book Arts Minor in University of Utah General Catalog here.