Submit a Reserve Request
Use our online form to submit a reserve request at any point during the semester. You will receive a confirmation email that we received the request. Requests are processed in the order received, so submit it as soon as possible to ensure materials are available to your students.
The Marriott Library is here to help meet the research, teaching, and learning needs of you and your students. To both prevent and slow the spread of COVID-19 and to assure students equitable access to materials no matter where students reside, reserves will be limited to electronic format for the foreseeable future. We are unable to place print materials on reserve. Reserve requests must also be made through the library's online form.
There are several options that the library, working with you, can pursue to obtain these materials.
- When available, the library will purchase an electronic copy of the book.
- In some cases we can digitize print material in accordance with University of Utah Policy 7-013 "Copying of Copyrighted Works." The online form will provide the required Fair Use Questions for electronic citations. Electronic Reserve scanning requests must include the citation and copyright information.
The library is here for you and your students. If you have questions or concerns, please contact the Reserve Team.
Course Reserve Policies
Personal copies: We no longer accept personal copies for the Open Reserve collection. The Reserve staff will purchase any items previously available as personal copies to ensure our Open Reserve collection contains all needed materials. If you have materials you wish to be made available to your students through Reserve, you may donate them to the library for Reserve. At the end of the reserve period, the items will remain the property of the Marriott Library and may be circulated or sold.
Processing: Submit requests at least four weeks in advance of the semester to ensure that the material will be available to your students on the first day of classes. All requests must be submitted via the online form. Content cannot be removed in order to post additional content from the same source. Class textbooks will be purchased for Reserve at your request. Media (DVD, VHS, CD) can also be placed on Reserve.
Copyright: In Accordance with University of Utah Policy 7-013 "Copying of Copyrighted Works," reserve requests must be made through the library's online form. The online form will provide the required Fair Use Questions for electronic citations. Faculty must resubmit the online form and associated Fair Use Evaluations for each semester an e-reserve should be accessible. Electronic Reserve scanning requests must include the citation and copyright information. Items of unknown origin cannot be scanned for electronic reserve.
- Course Reserve lists are updated every 24 hours.
- At the end of each semester, all materials will be removed from Reserve.
- Student papers require written authorization from the student in order to be posted on e-reserve.
- All requests must be submitted through the online form. This is to ensure timely and accurate processing of requests and copyright compliance.